1. When in the hour of utmost need
We know not where to look for aid;
When days and nights of anxious thought
Nor help nor counsel yet have brought,
2. Then this our comfort is alone,
That we may meet before Thy throne
And cry, O faithful God, to Thee
For rescue from our misery;
3. To Thee may raise our hearts and eyes,
Repenting sore with bitter sighs,
And seek Thy pardon for our sin
And respite from our griefs within.
4. For Thou hast promised graciously
To hear all those who cry to Thee
Thro' Him whose name alone is great,
Our Savior and our Advocate.
5. And thus we come, O God, today
And all our woes before Thee lay;
For sorely tried, cast down, we stand,
Perplexed by fears on every hand.
6. Ah! hide not for our sins Thy face,
Absolve us thro' Thy boundless grace,
Be with us in our anguish still;
Free us at last from every ill,
7. That so with all our hearts we may
To Thee our glad thanksgiving pay,
Then walk obedient to Thy Word
And now and ever praise Thee, Lord.