1. Rejoice, my heart, be glad and sing,
A cheerful trust maintain;
For God, the Source of ev'rything,
Thy portion shall remain.
2. He is thy Treasure, He thy Joy,
Thy Life and Light and Lord,
Thy Counselor when doubts annoy,
Thy Shield and great Reward.
3. Why spend the day in blank despair,
In restless tho't the night?
On thy Creator cast thy care;
He makes thy burdens light.
4. Did not Hs love and truth and pow'r
Watch o'er thy childhood day?
Has He not oft in threat'ning hour
Turn dreaded ills away?
5. He ever will with patience chide,
His rod falls gently down,
And all thy sins he casts aside
And in the sea doth drown.
6. When silent woe thy bosom rends,
His pity sees thy grief,
Supplies what to His glory tends
And to thine own relief.
7. He knows how oft a Christian weeps
And why his tears now fall;
And in the book His mercy keeps
These things are noted all.
8. His wisdom never plans in vain,
Nor falters nor mistakes;
All that His counsels did ordain
A happy ending makes.
9. Upon thy lips, then, lay thy hand
And trust His guiding love;
Then like a rock your peace shall stand
Here and in heaven above.